BOOK REVIEW: THE NAMES THEY GAVE US

by - January 26, 2018

Assalamualaikum, dear




Read more :

The Names They Gave Us is my third Emery Lord book. I loved it! Emery Lord writes such great begin year book, she's definitely one of my favorite YA contemporary authors. 


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Lucy Hansson was ready for a perfect summer with her boyfriend, working at her childhood Bible camp on the lake. But when her mom's cancer reappears, Lucy falters-in faith, in love, and in her ability to cope. When her boyfriend "pauses" their relationship and her summer job switches to a different camp-one for troubled kids- Lucy isn't sure how much more she can handle. 

Attempting to accept a new normal, Lucy slowly regains footing among her vibrant, diverse coworkers, Sundays with her mom, and a crush on a fellow counselor. But when long-hidden family secrets emerge, can Lucy set aside her problem and discover what grace really means?
Emotionally-charged and unforgettable, Emery Lord's storytelling shines with the promise of new love and true friendship, even in the face of life's biggest challenges.



Characters:
One of the other things I liked about The Names They Gave Us was Lucy's journey in discovering herself, and her realization about growing up. Even though it wasn't her choice to go to Camp Daybreak, I still loved that she was brave enough to give it a shot, and I enjoyed going through the journey with her. 

The whole camp environment was described superbly. Reading about the bonds between the camp members and the counsellors, the exciting activities they all had to do, the wonderful new friends Lucy makes, and pretty much everything about the camp, was so nostalgia. It brought me back to memories of the camps I went to during primary and secondary school.


Writing:
Emery Lord's writing was very easy to get into, and I found myself occasionally earing-pages of the book because the dialogue was just so relatable. 

The romance was also really cute, it was great that it didn't become the centre of the story. It had the perfect balance of romance, friendship, family, and self-discovery.


Overall:
All in all, if you enjoy YA contemporary you definitely can't miss out on this one. I haven't read Emery Lord's first book, Open Road Summer, but I think it's still fair to say that she writers really wonderful books. 

I definitely see myself re-reading The Names They Gave Us in the future, and suggesting this book when people ask for recommendations.

You May Also Like

0 comments